Book ships on publication date, May 1st, 2019.
I want to be a drag queen. Do you have any advice?
How did you get started in drag?
Can women be drag queens?
This book, How to Be a Drag Queen, is exactly how I broke into the drag world and built a successful career in the biz— and how
If you’re Wondering how to be a drag queen but don’t know where (or how) to start, this book is for you.
In How To Be A Drag Queen, you’ll learn all my tips, tricks, and secrets to getting started in drag the right way FOR YOU!
Preorder the book for $19.99*
*Every preorder will receive:
* A signed copy of the book
* Over $400 worth of book bonuses
* Access to the June popup Facebook book club with weekly live teaching
This book is a long time coming.
This book dates all the way back to 2013 — the year it was first written but not published.
Spoiler Alert: i didn’t (haven’t) published it because i was afraid. The final gut check was a realization that happened when i had a mother email me about her young daughter wanting to be drag queen but everyone telling her she couldn’t because she was a girl. She had reached out to me in search of answers, affirmation, community. Connection.
Many moons ago the same thing had happened to me. People told me i couldn’t be a drag queen because i was “real” girl. i can’t even begin to fathom how much i would have missed out on (opening up for Lady Gaga!! for goddess sake!) if i would have listened to them and let their “can’ts” take root in me.
That’s when i realized that by hoarding my knowledge and experience, and most importantly, this book that i was doing young girls like my new drag friend and client and other female-identified humans a disservice.
So (finally) i said fuck fear and BAM! the book is now a published reality. But How To Be A Drag Queen is so much more than just a book. It’s very much my life — all the trails and tribulations, all the learning in and out of drag that i have done. But more than all that its a love letter to my art. Our art.
And now, your art.
What How To be a drag queen is about:
The art and craft of drag and how you (regardless of gender) can be a part of it.
From tips to getting involved in your community to finding your signature drag style to creating your drag persona and then learning how to put it all together to create a show-stopping performance piece and experience for your audience, this book covers the entire spectrum of getting started — and succeeding — in the art of drag.
It’s a compilation of my best advice, tips + tricks, experiences, and stories of my 10+ years performing drag and over 22 years in the drag industry — along with the advice of 19 of my favorite drag performers and friends like Tommie Ross, Fauxnique, Miss Fame, RuPaul, and Jenna Skyy. Plus each section ends with DragWerk so you can take what you’re learning and put it into practice.
What you will learn:
- The foundations and the craft of drag, creating a persona, painting a drag mug, and putting together a performance — and how to make it great.
- How to brand yourself by connecting the dots between your persona and performance so you can create an unforgettable drag experience.
- How to build your drag arsenal — those things that will help you take your drag to the next level and get booked!
What you will get:
- A signed copy of the book shipped on the release date May 1st!
- Online book bonuses, including the companion Werkbook, resource lists galore, videos, and so much more (a value of over $400!)
- And *drum roll please* A LIVE 1-MONTH FACEBOOK POPUP GROUP IN JUNE (HAPPY PRIDE!) WHERE I WILL BE DOING WEEKLY EXCLUSIVE LIVE TEACHINGS BASED ON THE BOOK TO DEEPEN WHAT YOU’RE LEARNING AND ACTIVELY ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS THAT COME UP FOR YOU FOR THE ENTIRE MONTH! <– i’m SO excited about this because we are going to get to play in drag for an ENTIRE MONTH TOGETHER!!! YAAAAAY!!
Every preorder receives:
- A signed copy of the book
- Over $400 worth of book bonuses
- Access to the June popup Facebook book club with weekly live teaching with me!
By the time you finish this book, you will:
Have a solid foundation to build the rest of your drag career on! And you’ll be ready to book your first show and slay the stage as the amazing drag artist you are!
Book ships out on publication day, May 1, 2019!